So we go the report from Evan's physical therapist at school. It is sometimes so hard for me to read these darn things. I really did not think he was as far behind as he tested. I mean I know he is behind but he is overall about 2 years delayed in his gross motor skills. He is probably at least that delayed if not more in his fine motor skills and speech. And I am sure the report that we eventually get from the psychologist is going to be glowing as well. I know I sound a little negative.
She even mentioned something about how he drops to the floor in protest of somewhere that he does not want to go.
Here is some wording from the report:
Evan was assessed iwht the Peabody Developmental Motor Scales for Gross Motor. At the tiem of assessment he was 46 months
His basal age level was 15-17 months
His ceiling age level was 30-35 months
His age level equivalent score was 21 months (a 25 month delay)
Overall Evan tested in the 2nd percentile(in a group of 100 children his age, 98 perform better than he) In a breakdown by skill, he scored in the:
99% for reflexes
1% for balance
37% for non locomotor skills
1% for locomotor skills
2% for reciept and propulsion (ball skills)
I think reading that in a group of 100 children his 98 performed better than him was pretty hard to read. I guess I just did not think he was delayed as he tested. He is in the bottom of the barrell. Seeing things in words just make it harder, IMHO.
The therapist stated that he has significant motor delays. I know that there are plenty of kids that are more behind than Evan but he is my kid and his delays are what I deal with so I have to try hard not to feel bad for being upset by this report. I do that a lot. Feel bad for my feelings about Evan's problems because there are others who are more affected. But we each deal with our own children's issues so I need to not feel bad, because when I have friends whose kids do things that Evan does not, I do not feel jealous of them, I am happy for them that their child is meeting goals and I am sure that is how they feel about Evan. My friend and I were having this conversation and I told her that I feel envious when her autistic son talks and says things like Mama up or other words and to the same token she told me that she is envious when Evan wants to play or be social with other kids. So it goes both ways.
I know these reports are coming and I know that I am going to feel down about it but it is still hard to handle sometimes.
Ok, I will get off my rant. But I am glad I can be honest on this blog, it is nice to be able to put my feelings down in words.
I just read the comment from Evan's past PT, who we keep in touch with now and then. She made a good point, Evan has come so far from when we began this journey so I should also focus on that. I mean I am thrilled that he is walking and is doing so well at it. But as I stated before this is just one of those things that puts me in a down mood and I will snap out of it in a day or two and be fine until the next thing hits.
1 comment:
You are an AMAZING mom and it is ok to feel crappy and let-down sometimes. Evan has come a long way from when I first met you guys so keep up the good work and he will get there in his own time.
Love, Sarah
Post a Comment