When Evan was first diagnosed I was looking into all kinds of different treatments for him. Everything was so expensive and we were eventually getting six therapies a week and he was progressing so well in some of his development, he was crawling and then eventually started walking so I thought we were doing OK with what we had. But as I have researched some more and talked with other parents who are doing alternative therapy I see that Evan can still greatly benefit from an alternative therapy. I have a few that I want to do for him, but I think I would like to start with Conductive Education and Hyperbaric Oxygen therapy.
What is Conductive Education?
Conductive Education started in Hungary 60 years ago. Conductive Education helps children and adults with motor disorders learn to overcome problems of movement resulting from disease or damage to the central nervous system. It approaches motor disorders as a problem of learning or relearning - a problem that will respond to the appropriate teaching. If they can move and they can learn, they can learn to move. By repeating tasks and integrating intentional movement with learning, the brain creates alternate pathways to send messages to muscle groups creating the desired movements.
This therapy will work on the areas where Evan has the most problems, low tone in his trunk, neck and mouth, using and or moving his left leg and arm more, feeding himself, writing etc.
What does Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy do?
At normal air pressure you are absorbing about as much oxygen as you can. Even if you were fed pure oxygen at this pressure you couldn't absorb more oxygen than you would get from normal air. However if the pressure was increased to about twice the pressure difference you would get on an airplane, you could absorb far more oxygen. This extra oxygen is said to increase the level of activity around the brain injury.
Are Conductive Education and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy more effective together?
If Conductive Education is trying to create alternate pathways in the brain and if Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is stimulating those areas, then it might make it easier to create those new pathways. The results aren't just theory, we have seen first hand over and over again. While the results can be good from either one, they are much better together.
I am not sure how much this would do for Evan because he does have a brain malformation but I think or feel that it would do wonders for him. His brain would respond very well to the oxygen.
At the specific place I am looking at the cost would be around $7400 for 5 weeks of therapy
120-145 hours of Conductive Education
40 hours of HBOT
This is located at The Ability Camp whose web address is http://www.abilitycamp.com/CerebralPalsy.html
So I guess my next step is to find out where this place is located, then find out how to start fundraising or getting sponsors for Evan's trip out there. This is a major dream of mine but I am unsure of whether or not this will happen because of the economy etc.
What is Conductive Education?
Conductive Education started in Hungary 60 years ago. Conductive Education helps children and adults with motor disorders learn to overcome problems of movement resulting from disease or damage to the central nervous system. It approaches motor disorders as a problem of learning or relearning - a problem that will respond to the appropriate teaching. If they can move and they can learn, they can learn to move. By repeating tasks and integrating intentional movement with learning, the brain creates alternate pathways to send messages to muscle groups creating the desired movements.
This therapy will work on the areas where Evan has the most problems, low tone in his trunk, neck and mouth, using and or moving his left leg and arm more, feeding himself, writing etc.
What does Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy do?
At normal air pressure you are absorbing about as much oxygen as you can. Even if you were fed pure oxygen at this pressure you couldn't absorb more oxygen than you would get from normal air. However if the pressure was increased to about twice the pressure difference you would get on an airplane, you could absorb far more oxygen. This extra oxygen is said to increase the level of activity around the brain injury.
Are Conductive Education and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy more effective together?
If Conductive Education is trying to create alternate pathways in the brain and if Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy is stimulating those areas, then it might make it easier to create those new pathways. The results aren't just theory, we have seen first hand over and over again. While the results can be good from either one, they are much better together.
I am not sure how much this would do for Evan because he does have a brain malformation but I think or feel that it would do wonders for him. His brain would respond very well to the oxygen.
At the specific place I am looking at the cost would be around $7400 for 5 weeks of therapy
120-145 hours of Conductive Education
40 hours of HBOT
This is located at The Ability Camp whose web address is http://www.abilitycamp.com/CerebralPalsy.html
So I guess my next step is to find out where this place is located, then find out how to start fundraising or getting sponsors for Evan's trip out there. This is a major dream of mine but I am unsure of whether or not this will happen because of the economy etc.
Can anyone give me pointers or ideas on how to start fundraising and getting sponsorships. I thought I could just start sending out letters for sponsorships and I would love to do a spaghetti feed and/ or scrapbook event for a fundraiser. So if you have ideas or experience with this please feel free to email me at stacyj@surewest.net
How could anyone resist this cute face?
1 comment:
there is a conductive ed in san Jose of course if u went there u would have to stop by to meet me lol
Post a Comment