I just have to share my frustration with the school district. First of all the communication between myself and the program specialist is basically one sided. I even got up the nerve to tell her that I was frustrated with the lack of communication at Evan's IEP and that still made no difference as I have sent an email regarding getting outside or additional speech services for Evan but have not received a response. I am going to send another and then start calling in the beginning of August. It is ridiculous though.
My second issue for the 2010-2011 school year(because 09-10) would be a whole other post. Anyway, because of Evan being on the bus for an hour each way this year I had inquired about a bus attendant. I asked because Evan usually has his seizures going into or coming out of sleep and he will be likely sleeping on the bus sometimes on the way to school and 98% of the time on the way home from school. His new school day is from 7am-3:30pm(this includes bus time). I met with the nurse last month so that we could discuss the reasoning for my requesting a bus attendant. So anyway, she calls me the other day and says she is going to put in the information to the program specialist and then that person will make the decision but that she(the nurse) is going to also suggest perhaps moving Evan to a school that is closer to our house so that the ride will be shorter. I basically tell her that is not an option because I am very happy with the school he is in now and I love the teacher and evan loves the school so far. She says "this program at Castello is really good as well." I have to get more firm and tell her that in no way am I budging on the placement for Evan and I also bring up the fact that his ride from Franklin (his Kinder full inclusion class and our home school) to My Friends(Evan's Daycare less than 10 mins from school) was almost an hour long so how can she guarantee me that he would not be on the bus long enough to fall asleep if he went to Castello.
Basically, the conversation ended with her saying that I should call her if Evan starts having seizures on the bus and then we will look into in then. She did not really do her job, basically her solution was not acceptable to me so the subject was dropped. It is ridiculous. I am going to just let it slide for right now because it is going to be summer break and I am dealing with enough trying to get ready for my surgery but if Evan has any seizures or if I notice anything weird going on I am going to be back at pushing the issue and it will not be a pretty picture. Look out for the lady with the cane and a new hip.
No comments:
Post a Comment