
So we were informed of this great research study being done(thanks Lisa) with treadmill training and kids with Cerebral Palsy. Basically they would be put on the treadmill with the lite gait (red blue and yellow contraption) for about 45 minutes 3x a week over a 4 week period. The purpose of the study would be to see if this training would help with weightbearing and/or walking depending on the child's abilities. Then this study would be presented to insurance companies as a justification for treadmill training on a regular basis. So I was very excited that Evan would be getting this training because it would be great for endurance and trunk control.

Evan had another idea. He thought it was fun to lift his feet up of the treadmill and just hang, kind of like a swing. We tried many different ideas with him but he was never able to participate on the treadmill long enough to actually do training or raise his heart rate. So we decided on Friday to discontinue him from the study. He may be used as a comparison to another girl who is similar to him in abilities and is activly participating in the study, Evan would be an example of what no training would do and the other girl would be and example of what training does.

Evan was probably only on the treadmill on the first day. Friday we could not even get him up on the treadmill at all. We tried ot get him up on the adult size one but he soon figured out that if the turned around and sat down while it was on it would slide him down to the end. He would have done that over and over again.

Even though he is non verbal he certainly has ways of telling me when he does not want to do something anymore. I am bummed because I really wanted him to get the benefit of this training but at least I do not have to drive from Elk Grove to Davis 3x a week.
You can see the swinging really well in this video but the video is in the wrong position, horizontal instead of vertical. I do want to add that Grandma Barbara just thought it was the funniest thing that he would do the swinging in the harness. Evan does bring lots of smiles and laughter to our lives that is for sure.
4 comments:
LOL I have to laugh because Daniel has also done the treadmill and the little imp also figured out how to "fly like superman" and would not put his feet down at times. Or he would put his feet down but not move them to walk and just let them thump along and would laugh because of the vibration! I love that Evan, turned and sat so he went to the end! Even though both the boys are non verbal I have to agree...they get their points across!!
They do that. By the 3rd day Evan was like I am so done with this.
They do that. By the 3rd day Evan was like I am so done with this.
He is ALL boy!! And a cute one!!
Post a Comment