Well, on Monday 11-24 we had Evan's parent teacher conference for preschool and I will admit that I was very nervous about it. But it actually went really well.
Basically, Evan is on track to meet the goals that were set out for him in September. These goals are:
Drinking out of a regular cup and not tipping his head back while drinking
Using left hand to hold paper while coloring or using scissors
Toileting
Socializing with peers
Riding an adaptive bike
They keep a log at school and Evan has actually peed in the potty about six times at school, so now I am going to work on getting him some type of adaptive toileting system so that we can perhaps work on this at home as well. I would love to be done with diaper changes but I still have to figure out how Evan is going to tell me he is ready to go potty. I guess we will just have to put him on the toilet according to a schedule.
Evan loves other kids and does well playing with them
He is doing so well with drinking out of a cup and is not tipping his back too often and is able to take a verbal que to change the habit. We are however having problems with him working with his feeding therapist. He is totally non-compliant if she is there at school and tries to hit her, pushes his food away and just acts up. She is going to try it one more time and if he is the same way then we will see if she can see him at home instead.
Evan's teacher has a theory as to why this is happening, she thinks it is because Evan does not want to be different from other kids. At breakfast he does not like if the teacher brings his food to him already cut up, he wants to put his food on his plate and then let her cut it up.
At school they have a few different types of adaptive bikes but Evan does not like to ride them because they are different than what the other kids ride. They have a tricycle that has a second seat so one child can pedal and ride another child around on the bike. Evan tries to pull the other kids but gets frustrated because he is not able to pedal. When the teacher tries to get him to ride the adaptive bike he does not want to do it.
I think if Evan had any more language than he does now his frustrations would be a lot less, I always try to imagine what he is trying to tell me. I think it is great that he does not want to be different than other kids, I think it shows that he is aware of what is going on around him as well. And I am very glad that he does not get to discouraged easily either, this is something that will take him far.
One thing I am so nervous about is whether or not to put Evan in a special ed kindergarten or a regular ed kindergarten. I just feel that he will not be ready for it and the teachers seem to think that he will be. We do not have to decide until May and they will be setting up visits to various classrooms to help me make a decision.
No comments:
Post a Comment