Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Look at what Evan can do!

So today Gabriel had a friend over and they were playing in the front yard and since it was such a beautiful day I thought it would be a good time to get Evan back on his adaptive bike. He was refusing to ride it at home and also refusing to ride the ones at school also. Evan seems to be aware when he is "different" than other kids. So I am pushing him on the bike and I decide to let go and see if he can pedal himself. At first he would stop and tell me to push him but after a couple of times he was doing it on his own.

Rudy got home from work while we were outside so Evan got to show his Daddy how great he did. He of course went longer distances when the camera wasn't on. We are so proud of him. We are going to make this a weekly thing because I know he can only get better. I just need to get some straps to keep lefty on the handle. So to the person who said that Evan does not understand the concept of riding a bike I say look at this kid after about 1 dozen times on a bike. This just proves that no matter what any professionals say our kids can do things that they did not think they would be able to do.

7 comments:

Melanie said...

THAT IS SO AWESOME!!!

I am so happy that Evan has that bike. Oh and by the way....I'd send the video by email, snail mail, VCR, and DVD to make sure whoever said that he didn't understand the concept...just make sure they have as many possibly ways to view it. ooooh I LOVE proving people wrong.

WAY TO GO EVAN!!!!!

Justinich Family said...

I know, I was going to send it in an email to his Alta worker(this is the agency that pays for diapers, wipes and equipment that medical insurance does not cover)she is the one that denied it based on the agency OT who said he was just not ready yet.

Billie said...

How exciting! I love at the end of the second video when you say "he's doing it by himself!" You sound so happy and excited! It gave me chills. And you are right...it will only get better:)

Jacolyn said...

That is awesome!!! Go Evan!!

Ellen Seidman said...

WOW!!!! Saw your comment on the email loop, had to come check this out. That is a beautiful sight! My Max also has an adaptive bike, and I was similarly ecstatic when he started riding it. Aren't our kids amazing?

Jess said...

What a cutie! He looks like he's really enjoying himself. :)

~Jess

AshleyS said...

GO EVAN! This gives me so much hope. I hadn't seen this particular bike, so I can't wait to find one for Clayton . . .