Sunday, April 12, 2009

More Baseball


While we were out on the field before the game Evan had to stand on the base to throw his ball, it was so cute.

Here is one of the highschool students(Glen) playing catch with Evan






Evan is all ready for his turn up at bat
His buddy for the game was Mike. He did an awesome job helping Evan out.

Out of the park!!!

Here they are running to first base

The kids on base get to tag the runners but nobody is out


Evan really seemed to like his buddy and really was paying attention to what he was doing.




As you can see there are kids in wheelchairs and kids who walk


Evan is listening intentlyto what his buddy Mike has to say


Evan saw the other players kneeling and he had to do the same thing


Home Run


At first I was sad that I just could not sign Evan up for regular T-ball like I did with his older brother, I was feeling annoyed at his disability. I do not feel that way anymore. It was so great to see him playing ball and totally being a part of the whole process. I cried but I was crying because he was getting this great opportunity and I had no worries at all. Every kid there had a blast, these were kids of differing disabilities and they were all playing baseball and laughing and smiling as they did so.
The highschool kids were so awesome, they friendly, patient and really made an effort to get these kids involved and what a great experience for them to learn about kids with special needs. I encourage other parents to look for this type of program in your area. As we all know certain dreams die when our kids are diagnosed with their disability but this is one that can be realized. We can't wait for the next game.

3 comments:

Ellen Seidman said...

Oh, I just loved reading this and seeing those photos. Evan look like he had such a great time! Max is doing this on Sunday, will post photos!

Justinich Family said...

Can't wait to see your photos. Evan had a blast and I know he will be excited when we go this weekend.

AshleyS said...

It looks like Evan is loving it! I've always dreamed of being a "baseball mom" so I can totally understand your original disappointment--I'm now looking forward to seeing Clayton play in our special league here.