Friday, May 23, 2008

Frustrated

I am very frustrated right now. We had a referral for an evaluation for an adaptive bicycle for Evan. Well the OT who supposedly did the evaluation has said that she does not think this is an appropriate piece of equipment for him at this time. This is so ridiculous. First of all she only saw him for about 30 minutes and that was to eval his current feeding chair, then she called me on the phone and we talked for about 20 minutes regarding the bike but she never did an actual evaluation for the bike. How is she able to determine if it is not an appropriate piece of equipment for him. She has not even seen him on a commmercail bike or an adaptive bike. I just hate how these people think they can play GOD with our children or how they think just because they have a Masters degree that they know what is appropriate for our kids. I know my son and an adaptive bike would be so cool for him to have. I am totally fighting this one. If only I had the $2k to buy the bike myself I would do it in a heartbeat.

My second thing of frustration is being told that working on Evan's hand usage after he got botox is out of the scope of school based therapy. What the heck. I emailed his OT to inform her that he got the Botox so that she could take advantage of the benefits and do some work on his hand, she then forwarded the email to her supervisor who gave me that response. So taking time to work on the fine motor skills of an affected hand with Botox is out of the scope of school based therapy. So I guess they do not want him to use lefty as more than a helper hand that is fisted and tight all the time. I am so glad the school year is almost over and we are going to hopefully going to a new school with hopefully new therapists who care more about the kids.

I have no pics to post because our camera is not in our posession at this time. But check back for some pics of our birds nest and camping trip.

No comments: